Friday, August 20, 2010

Music and the Mind

MUSIC AND THE MIND
August 15, 2010 By Stephen Ellis

Ever wonder why a song will just pop into your mind for no apparent reason? I’m not talking about a song you may have just heard on the radio. I’m talking about a song you may not have heard for years and years. Even lyrics that have long been buried in your mind will suddenly pop into your head while you’re sleeping…while you’re busy doing something else. It usually happens without warning.

I’ve wondered about this, too and I’ve been trying to give it some thought: I based my thoughts on the fact that music is an international language. It is a way of communicating when language isn’t there. Some music makes you feel happy; some makes you feel sad…and some music brings back long-forgotten memories.
It just seemed logical to assume that music did not permeate my mind for no reason. Perhaps someone, somewhere was trying to communicate with me….send me a message. But “who” and “why”?

One of the unique things about music is that it is almost, invariably, connected with someone. Not the recording artist, but people you know…or more likely, knew. Music…songs…usually remind you of people and places past.

For example: I’m already in my late seventies (where did all the years go?), so it might seem strange for some songs to enter my head that I haven’t heard for more than sixty years…yet, pop-into-my-head they do…and even the lyrics were there. One night, shortly after my brother died, I started hearing songs I sang around a campfire at a summer camp in Connecticut. There was no question in my mind that the only person I knew…someone who was there with me when we learned those songs…was my deceased brother. Was my brother trying to communicate with me from the after-life world? I went over and over the lyrics of these camp songs to see if there might be a message contained in them, but all I was able to come up with is that they were very happy times…happy memories. Perhaps my brother was trying to tell me that, wherever he was, he was happy and all was well.

This is a pretty far-out theory, and it certainly is not based on anything forensic. Still, if you put a lot of things together, maybe it does make sense: Our thoughts are energy. Energy knows no bounds, so it’s quite likely that thought energy is everywhere around us…in our atmosphere…in our minds. It’s the thing that makes us inwardly recoil when we meet some people for the first time and find ourselves attracted when we meet others. It’s the thing that makes us very uncomfortable when we enter some places and very relaxed when we enter others. It’s also what memories are made of.

Readers of my blogs know that I feel strongly that communication with the dead is extremely rare and, in fact, the only cases I could ever verify occurred within hours after an unexpected death. The logic is simple: A ghost no longer has a real body; it does not have vocal chords or a larynx, so communication with it in a normal fashion simply cannot exist (I am not a fan of John Edwards, James Van Praagh or anyone else who claims to be able to communicate with the dead).

But thoughts and energy do not die. They will continue as long as there are people.

I’m suggesting that, just “maybe”, music that simply pops into your head for no apparent reason may have entered your mind because someone else’s energy is trying to communicate with you. Maybe it’s the lyrics or maybe it was the surrounding ambiance when you first heard that music.

Certainly it’s worth thinking about.

Write me at stebrel@aol.com. I respond to all communications.

Visit my website at Yourparanormalcenter.com.

No comments: